Sometimes you find yourself in a position where either get a pop up error message or in the logfiles you have errors that the access is denied.
Typical scenarios could be:
* You perform a backup and it fails with an error message 'Access Denied' (you see this usually in the logfiles)
* You create a new Vault Workgroup (replication) in Vault Server and get a SQL error -26
* You have problems with rebuilding the Search Index of your Vault and in the logfiles you find entries about Lucene error 227 and such entries:
Access to the path 'C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\VaultServer\Indexes\Vault\write.lock' is denied
And all other issues where you can think of that the root cause could be just a failed windows operation due to lack of permissions.
To troubleshoot the issue you could use Process Monitor (from Microsoft).
1. Download Process Monitor here
2. Run Process Monitor on the Vault Server
3. In Menu Filter go to Filter ...
4. Pick Result and use the condition "is". As value choose: ACCESS DENIED
6. Press Ctrl + X to clear the current results inside process monitor
7. Reproduce your issue again (try to perform the backup, add the Workgroup, rebuild search indexes etc.)
Now you should see some operations which failed due to the Result "Access Denied" like this:
The key point is here the column 'User' which makes the problem and the folder where the user don´t have permissions.
Just check the windows permissions and grant this user full permissions to this folder.
Then perform the operation again and see if your issue is resolved and/or the Access Denied failure in Process Monitor is gone or not.
However it is not always so easy because it could also be a registry key where the permission failed.
Or you get an "Access Denied" but it is not related to your issue. Note/background: Process Monitor logs every process/operation in Windows (taking a look at the process name where the operation failed helps in this case as well).
If you are experienced/adventurous you can try also other filter settings as well in order to identify any kind of issues with the help of Process Monitor.
You also sometimes need to run Process Monitor on the client side depending on the issue.
The "RESULT=ACCESS DENIED" filter is just a very good example because it helped in various Vault cases in the past.