One significant new feature in Vault 2013 is the Forward Compatibility. In its simplest form, this allows any client, that can connect to Vault Server 2012, to connect to Vault Server 2013. (For more information see the Vault 2013 readme. Under “2013 Readmes”>Autodesk Vault <edition> 2013 Readme>Autodesk Data Management Server (ADMS)>Support for Prior Vault Clients and Add-Ins.
This greatly simplifies the task of upgrading to the next release of Vault. In the past if a new version of a CAD application was released and you were using Vault, before you could upgrade to the new CAD App release, you had to upgrade your Vault Server and all Clients simultaneously. If you didn’t, the clients would not be able to use Vault.
Now its possible to upgrade to the new release of Vault Server 2013 and upgrade the clients later as needed. Provided that the clients could connect to Vault Server 2012, they will be able to connect to Vault Server 2013 without needing to install anything new on them!
Here are two examples of how this might work.
First for CAD Addins.
At the top there is a client with
- Inventor 2010 SP4
- Vault Professional 2012 (Client) Update 1
- Inventor 2010 SP4 Client Update Patch for Vault Server 2012 Update 1
Because this client could connect to Vault Professional Server 2012, when the server is upgraded to Vault Server 2013, unless the CAD Administrator tells the user that the server has been upgraded, they should see no difference.
At the bottom is a client with
- Inventor 2010 SP4
- Vault Professional 2013
Although the Vault Professional 2013 client will install and will be able to connect to Vault 2013, the CAD ADDIN will not install for Inventor 2010 SP4.
Secondly for the Vault Clients
It is possible to install different releases of the Vault Professional Client on one computer.
The Vault Professional 2011 client will not connect to the Vault Professional 2013 Server.
The Vault Professional 2012 and the 2013 clients will be able to connect to the Vault Professional 2013 Server.
There are some caveats.
- New functionality available in Vault 2013 will not be available in older Vault clients and Add-Ins.
- Some functionality in a Vault 2013 client may not work when only an older version of the CAD application is installed or if an older version of the CAD application was last run. Running Inventor View 2013 or the 2013 version of the CAD application and then retrying the operation may resolve the issue.
- The edition of the client must match the edition of the server.