Whilst Autodesk investigates a solution, I thought sharing a newly discovered issue to reduce its impact might be appreciated by our partners and customers using the Place From Vault command in Inventor.
Under certain precise circumstances Inventor 2014 appears to hang\freeze\pause for 10 minutes.
Here are the steps to reproduce this behaviour.
- Create 1.IAM
- Insert a new ipt into that 1.IAM
- Check 1.IAM into Vault (2014)
- Rename the .ipt in Vault
- In Inventor, create a second new IAM
- Place 1.iam into 2.iam
- This starts the “Connectivity.Resolve.ResolveService.exe” process
- Crash Inventor (Or simulate a crash by killing Inventor.exe in Task Manager). The Connectivity.Resolve.ResolveService.exe from the first session is still running
- Start Inventor
- Place 1.iam from Vault
- Hang for 10 minutes
The gap between steps 8 and 10 could be immediately or several hours. The important point is that the ResolveService.exe from the first Inventor session is still running when Inventor is restarted.
The workarounds for this are as follows:-
- Wait until Inventor eventually becomes responsive
- Kill the “Connectivity.Resolve.ResolveService.exe” process at step 11
Thanks to Erik Gilsdorf, who first reported this issue to us and helped us reproduce it when it was very difficult to isolate the precise steps to recreate this from scratch. Thanks for your patience Erik!